Internet & Computer Safety(Information from the National Network to End Domestic Violence)
- If you think your activities are being monitored, they probably are. You don’t need to be a computer programmer or have special skills to monitor someone’s computer and Internet activities – anyone can do it and there are many ways to monitor with programs like Spyware, keystroke loggers and hacking tools.
- It is not possible to delete or clear all the “footprints" of your computer or online activities. If you are being monitored, it may be dangerous to change your computer behaviors such as suddenly deleting your entire Internet history if that is not your regular habit. (If you would like to clear your History, Cache or Cookies, each browser is different. Use the Help feature in your browser to find out how to do this.)
- If you think you may be monitored on your home computer, be careful how you use your computer since an abuser might become suspicious. You may want to keep using the monitored computer for innocuous activities, like looking up the weather. Use a safer computer to research an escape plan, look for new jobs or apartments, bus tickets, or ask for help.
- Email and Instant/Text Messaging (IM) are not safe or confidential ways to talk to someone about the danger or abuse in your life. If you use email or IM, please use a safer computer and an account your abuser does not know about.
- Keep in mind, computers can store a lot of private information about what you look at via the Internet, the emails and instant messages you send, internet-based phone and IP-TTY calls you make, web-based purchases and banking, and many other activities. Therefore, it might be safer to use a computer in a public library, at a trusted friend’s house, or an Internet Café.
Cell Phone Safety
Just as someone can track your computer use, your cell phone use can also put you at risk.
- Cell phones can be monitored including who you called or who you texted.
- Your location can be tracked via cell phone, location-based apps for your phone or social media.
- Software or spyware can be installed on your phone to monitor your usage.
Internet Safety for Children
The Internet is a powerful tool for children but also poses potential risk. For more information and safety tips about Internet Safety for children, please read more here.